Wednesday, October 7, 2015

LISTS — in the making

EVERYTHING I LIKE
  • Traveling with one suitcase.
  • Not buying a lot of stuff.
  • Being able to learn and to grow
  • Feeling confident, overall
  • People — being happy to be a part of the human race
  • Being able to live simply in one room, knowing exactly where everything is
  • The fact that everything on my "don't like" list is temporary and relatively minor 
  • The thought of moving on to the next stage of the journey
EVERYTHING I DON'T LIKE
Getting up with an alarm clock every morning, especially after nights of difficult sleep; my little bed, which is not all that comfortable; having to eat whatever it is that is placed in front of me; gaining weight; having to carry everything I need in my backpack; aching shoulders; stairs that make me dizzy; being on tenterhooks with Jacqueline; having to wait for heavy traffic to pass while observing the tram's arrival in the morning; having to run an entire block to catch the tram; having the tram leave, just as I begin to press the button to open its doors; irregular bathroom habits and never knowing when or where a toilette may be available; struggling with coins to enter said bathroom; the water, therefore not drinking enough water; having to ask for everything (is there any toilet paper?); missing comfort — sitting in my armchair and watching tv (the Cubs!); having an easy conversation with a friend…..

PACKING (for my own future reference)

What I wasn't sure of, but now am glad I brought:                                                                 
  • My travel yoga mat (although it's a "travel" mat, it's still about 13x13x4 - NOT terribly small, and space is limited and precious; however, this was a good decision. No way I would be doing yoga on this hard, marble surface in my room without it.)
What I brought and wish I hadn't: 
  • The second pair of shoes. (I was worried about my plantar fasciitis, and so brought two really good pairs of shoes. However, I have had no foot problems and that extra pair of shoes is taking up a lot of space. Even if I had foot problems, not sure what problem a second pair would solve.) Note to self: my good pair of Clark's and one pair of Crocs is all I needed.         
  • My good prescription sunglasses.  I've worn them to protect my eyes; however, even though it's sunny here, I'm not experiencing the mac.degeneration symptoms brought on by sunlight (YAY) and, besides, I keep forgetting them (and don't really want the extra weight in my backpack).                                                                                                                                    
  • My beach towel and shirt for the beach (didn't use; going to ditch them) and my guidebook for Cathar country, which I won't use, since I'm not going there (but will keep).
What I wish I had brought:                                                                                                        
  • The right adaptor for appliances and the right camera battery charger!!!
  • A bigger purse. I HATE carrying purses and for the last few months have mostly relied on my little baggallini, which is what I brought with me (and which is big enough for my money, cellphone, and camera without its case, but nothing else).                                                          
  • A coin purse (had to buy one for all those Euro coins. (My baggallini has a coin section, so don't need a coin purse when I use it; however, when I lug my backpack around - 90% of the time so far, there is no place to put my coins.)                                                                                 
  • My driver's license. I debated about this at home and decided NO; however, there's places one can't get to without a car. SO? I will simply go to places that one CAN get to without a car, and leave the driving to someone else. Besides, I enjoy taking the train! 

No comments:

Post a Comment